UPDATE - For current students who were student teaching (3/23/20)
If you have completed 50% of your student teaching hours, this will be sufficient to fullfill:
- Eligibility for a teaching licnese in Ohio
- The university's student teaching requirement
If the public schools resume traditional classroom presence, the master teacher will determine if the student is required to resume student teaching duties.
- Per the Ohio Department of Education's guidance, if a student has completed 50% of his or her student teaching hours, this will suffice for satisfactory completion of the student teaching requirement given the problems associated with the coronavirus pandemic and will be eligible for a teaching license in Ohio.
- If a student has completed 50% of the required student teaching hours, he or she will have satisfactorily completed the university's student teaching requirement.
- If the public school districts are able to resume a traditional classroom presence, and the master teacher would like that student teacher to resume as well, that student teacher will be required to resume student teaching duties.
- If the public school districts are able to resume a traditional classroom presence, and the master teacher would not like that student teacher to resume probably due to the severe time restraints, that student teacher will not be required to resume student teaching duties. This policy is in deference to the flexibility needed by the public school districts and their teachers.
Elementary teacher prep program earns A+
“This A+ rating from the National Council on Teacher Quality reflects decades of hard work by UA’s literacy faculty... Being recognized nationally, is a testament to our dedication and commitment to academic excellence.”
Dr. Lisa Lenhart
Professor of curricular and instructional studies and
Lead literacy faculty
The heart and soul of education
As a student in the LeBron James Family Foundation College of Education, you will be at the forefront of educational trends — learning through hands-on experiences in our newly renovated, state-of-the-art labs and classrooms.
Our college is fully accredited, recognized for “national excellence” and distinctive because of our novel Urban Youth Mentoring Program, our Teacher Education Learning Community and more.
WHY CHOOSE AKRON?
Urban Stem Center
An umbrella organization to advance STEM education and research through activities both on and off UA campus.
The College of Education's Zook Hall, is designed for educators with advanced technologies and ample space for learning.
Student Teaching & Field Experience
Develop skills and prepare for your career through the strong collaboration we offer with our K-12 partners, including the I PROMISE School.