Attending college far from home can be simultaneously exciting and overwhelming. It is our mission at The University of Akron's International Center to support you before and after you arrive and make you feel at home here in Akron.
Our international application deadlines
|Semester you wish to begin||Apply by this date|
|Summer I, II, III||March 1|
- Note: The University of Akron operates on a rolling admission basis. You will receive your international admission decision through email after all application documents have been received.
The table below lists the key items to submit for different types of applicants. Please see the important notes under the table.
|Online Application||$50 Application Fee||Official Secondary School Transcripts||Official College/ University or Professional School Transcripts||Official Proof of English Proficiency||Official SAT/ACT|
|New freshman 1|
|Transfer 2||Proof of secondary school graduation|
1 New freshman:
- Must provide your (projected) date of graduation for application.
- Proof of final graduation must be submitted before you will be permitted to register for classes.
2 Transfer students:
- Must submit supporting documentation for all earned degrees indicated on the application. Provisional certificates may be accepted pending the award of a degree.
- If you have completed an approved college English Composition course with a final grade of C or better, you do NOT need to provide additional proof of English proficiency.
- Our Transfer Equivalency Database lists the pre-approved transfer courses from universities/colleges around the world. If you do not find your college/university or your course(s), we highly recommend you provide a course syllabi to assist the credit evaluation. You may email the digital copies to: email@example.com.
3 Guest/transient students:
- Must provide a transient permission form from the college/university you are attending that approves you to take classes at The University of Akron.
Transcript Translation and/or Evaluation
- If your transcripts are not in English, they must be officially translated. Original copies should be provided together with the translated versions.
- If you want to have your transcripts and credentials evaluated, we accept evaluations from WES and other accredited members of NACES and AICE. You can find a list of accredited members on their websites.
- Official documents, including transcripts and test results, must be submitted for admission, the award of scholarships and the issues of I-20.
- An official final transcript must be submitted before you can register for your second semester coursework.
What is an official transcript?
An official transcript can be one of the following:
- A hard copy transcript mailed by your secondary school or college/university in a sealed envelope. Please find the mailing address in section 4.
- Transcripts uploaded by your counselor as part of your Common Application.
- An e-transcript directly sent by your college/university to the University of Akron.
- Digital transcripts emailed by your school counselor or other school officials through an official institutional email address or an email address that can be verified on the school’s website.
- For some West African countries, the WAEC exam result is only considered official after we verify it at the official WAEC website. Applicants must provide their scratch card information as part of the application.
SAT or ACT
If you are applying as a new freshman, official SAT / ACT test results must be submitted to be considered for entry.
To send official test results directly from the test organizations to The University of Akron, please use the codes below:
- ACT: 3338
- SAT: 1829
All undergraduate international applicants must provide proof of English proficiency by meeting the minimum score from one of the following acceptable tests. This requirement can be waived if you meet certain criteria.
Minimum requirements for English proficiency:
|SAT (Evidence-based reading & writing) *test taken after March, 2016||500|
|CAE (Cambridge English: Advanced)||169|
- TOEFL, IELTS, SAT and ACT scores are valid for two years from the test date. The University of Akron accepts only valid test scores.
- All TOEFL results from ETS will be accepted. We ONLY accept the Institutional TOEFL (ITP Test) administered by The University of Akron.
- To send official test results directly from the test organizations to The University of Akron, please use the codes below:
- TOEFL: 1829
- ACT: 3338
- SAT: 1829
English Proficiency Requirement Waiver
Proof of English Proficiency can be waived if you meet one of the following situations:
- If you have completed or will complete 3 or more years of high school in one of the following countries:
Applicants who are citizens and primarily educated in the following countries may be waived for the English language proficiency requirement:
Antigua & Barbados
British Virgin Islands
Canada (except Quebec)
Republic of Ireland
St. Kitts & Nevis
St. Vincent & Grenadines
Trinidad & Tobago
Turks & Caicos Islands
United Kingdom (England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales)
United States & US Territories
- If you have completed or will complete 3 or more years of high school in a school whose primary language of instruction is English, as indicated by your official transcripts and high school profile.
- If you are in or have taken IB, A-level or AP curriculum and meet the follow requirements:
- IB: score of 5 or above in the in the Diploma Program higher level or a minimum score of 6 in the standard level English language examinations
- A-level: score of C or higher in English Language or English Language and Literature
- AP: scored 3 or higher in English Language and Composition or English Literature and Composition
- CLEP: score of 50 or above in College Composition
- Other waivers are determined by the Executive Director of International Recruitment. Please send a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditional Admission & English Language Institute
Conditional admission is offered to students who are academically acceptable but who have not yet obtained the level of English proficiency required for full admission. Students who meet these criteria may attend the University's English Language Institute or ELI. Students enrolled in the ELI may not enroll in undergraduate coursework until they have successfully completed ELI.
Contact the English Language Institute:
How to submit documents:
- Email official digital copies to email@example.com.
- PDF format is preferred.
BY POSTAL MAIL:
- Mail official hard copies in a sealed envelope to the following mailing address:
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-4711
- Note: Documents submitted to the University in the application process will NOT be returned. Be careful sending original diploma, degrees or certificates.
If you have any questions, contact International Recruitment at +1 330-972-4930 or email us. We are in the U.S. eastern standard time zone (EST).