WELCOME TO UA!
We are eager to welcome you to Akron and assist you in achieving your academic and career goals!
Please read this page carefully and follow the steps below to ensure you are fully prepared for your travels to The University of Akron and our region.
Note to admitted students:
If you have not let us know you plan to come, please confirm your decision now in this "intent to enroll" form.
Do you need to defer?
- Undergraduates and ELI students to defer email international recruitment.
- Graduate and Law students complete this deferment form.
ARRIVAL DATES TO PLAN AROUND
Arrival to: The U.S.
F-1 or J-1 students, are permitted to enter the United States up to 30 days before the start of your program.
- For Spring 2019, this means that you may arrive in the United States on or after December 9, 2018.
Arrival to: The University of Akron
We strongly suggest you arrive either before December 23, 2018 or after January 1, 2019.
- The University of Akron will close on Saturday, December 23, 2018 and reopen on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
If you choose to arrive while the university is closed:
- There will be no one available on campus to help you move in or find your way around.
- If you will be living off campus, please confirm your arrival date with your landlord in advance, as some may not permit you to move in during this time.
When you must be on campus
On-campus orientation will be Wednesday, January 9, 2019.
- Orientation on campus is mandatory for ALL new international students INCLUDING those transferring from another U.S. institution.
- Please purchase your flights accordingly.
INFORMATION TO HELP YOU BEFORE & AFTER YOU ARRIVE
- Immigration: Get your I-20 or DS-2019
- Getting to Akron
- Choose housing
- Pre-purchase bedding & towels
- Set up your UA email
- Confirmation fees
- For undergraduate students only
- Online orientation
- On-campus orientation
- Class registration
- Tuberculosis (TB) testing
- Required immigration check in
- Health insurance
- Paying bills
- Cell phone
- Updating your personal information and emergency notifications
- For parents
- For students under 18 years old
- For Global Nomads/Third Culture Kids