Emerging LeadersYour path to leadership development, civic engagement and self-discovery
Our Emerging Leaders Program creates an opportunity for you and other first-year students to become actively engaged in the campus community through leadership development, civic engagement and self-discovery.
We will help prepare you for leadership roles on campus, on the job and in your community.
- A minimum 2.5 cumulative high school GPA (minimum 3.5 cumulative high school GPA for UA's Williams Honors College).
- Available to arrive to campus one week early for Leadership Training Week and Welcome Weekend 2019.
- Able to commit for a full year to the Program and Major Events Committee events.
- Members of this community will need to register for the special fall Akron Experience: University 101 class, and the advanced Leadership Principles class in the spring.
- Resident of either Ritchie Hall, Sisler-McFawn Residence Hall or 5th floor of the Honors Complex (pending Honors College acceptance).
Responsibilities of Major Events Committee include:
- Welcome Weekend 2019
- Welcome Back Show Spring 2020
- Hall Fest 2020
- Make new friends in a unique Learning Community
- Award-winning leadership training
- Membership in America's No. 1 Program Board (RHPB)
- Work with great entertainers
- Arrive to school early
- Be a part of the University from the start!
How to Apply
Students interested in applying for the Emerging Leaders Program should first have a completed 2020-21 housing application on file. Students may complete their housing application and/or submit the Emerging Leaders program application by signing into My Akron using their UAnetID credentials and then selecting the “My Housing” icon from the left menu. Selections can be made from the housing menu.
Questions regarding the program should be directed to the Emerging Leaders Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-972-7031.
What do Emerging Leaders do?
Emerging Leaders take part in a specialized class called Akron Experience: University 101 in the fall and a Leadership Principles course in the spring, are mentored by upperclassmen student leaders within Residence Life and Housing, and come into The University of Akron already a part of the Residence Hall Program Board (RHPB) as a member of the Major Events Committee.